Thursday, December 02, 2004

A Simple Truth

I'm pretty down today but I don't want to write about that. Suffice it to say that love is confusing, especially when you want the kind that people write novels about and nothing less will do.

I was thinking though of a story my grandfather related to me over the Thanksgiving holiday. But first i'll say, my grandparents are getting on in years, both in their 80's now but my grandad still treats his wife like she is the only woman in the world. He also has a terrific sense of humor. In the mornings he is always the first one awake and when she finally wanders out of bed and into the kitchen he always says something to the effect of, "Who's that gorgeous blonde over there? She must have taken a wrong street or something.."His computer passwords relate to her, even the screensaver scroll says.."I love my bella Anna".

I had heard a story when I was 12 or so that during WWII my grandad who was in the army had gone AWOL to get my grandmother out of Italy. So I asked him about that and he told me the story. I wish I had recorded it because it's long and like I said he has a good sense of humor.

The first thing he said to me was..he really didn't go AWOL...because ya know AWOL is when you're gone but desertion is when you bring your stuff with you.

I guess after a 2 year tour in Italy he was getting shipped back to the U.S. and not wanting to be apart from my grandmother and after figuring out she couldn't fit into a suitcase (Yes they really thought about that option) he took his things off the boat an left. He went straight to an army office in Naples and told the officer in charge what he had done. The officer said "It's not too late go back..!" To which my grandad replied.."Yes it is, I watched the boat sail away." LOL

Long story short my grandad had to talk to another big honcho who, for whatever reason, took pity on him and gave him a job. Called washington to say he had been re-asigned so he never got in trouble for the desertion.
He worked for big honcho for a while and was able to see my grandmother and get her fiance' status. There was some sort of amnesty in the U.S. for war brides that was going to be closed out at the end of december. He managed to get her off the boat and on U.S. soil by december 27th and they got married on Febuary 14th.

That's the very very short version but the point is, I can't help thinking that I want love like that. I mean who wouldn't want to know someone is willing to go through all that trouble for them? Take that kind of risk? And on top of all of it, still be treated with so much love more than 50 years later?

I don't know, maybe it's true that it only happens for a handful of very lucky people. And maybe some of us get to have it but only for a short time. It seems like it shouldn't matter how complicated things are. The answer to any question should be infinitely simple when it comes to real love. Like in my grandparents case...you find a way to be together, no matter what.


1 comment:

Sarah said...

Nice post, Alex...that's a really sweet story. Thanks for sharing.