Saturday, December 11, 2004

Smile though your heart is breaking

I don't know why but I was just remembering a woman I once saw. I had gone out to eat breakfast with my mom and my now ex fiance. While we were waiting for our food another party being seated walked past.

Among the group was this amazing woman. She stood tall, dressed in a fancy long purple coat with fuzzy collar and a large brimmed purple hat with big white feathers bordering the top. She also walked with a cane. I don't think she needed the cane as she was relatively young but she walked with it never the less, smiling and nodding graciously to all she passed.

At first the whole room was transfixed but after a while got to whispering amongst themselves, my table included. My mother bf and I speculated on what would possibly make someone dress that way and I suppose the whole restaurant was doing the same.

Finally the excitement died down a bit but there was one small boy who continued to stare at the woman, never breaking contact. She smiled to him sweetly as she talked among her friends. She spoke with her hands, gesturing grandly like a starlet from Fellini. Finally she stood up and walked to his table where she reached in the pocket of her purple coat and laid in front of him a handfull of gold coin chocolates. The family thanked her, the boy still stared but smiled. Graceful and still smiling herself she went back to her own chair.

She was the biggest thing in the room and oddly enough she seemed so much more REAL. Everyone stared and whispered and smiled. That was the amazing thing, everyone smiled. I wonder what it would be like to be the kind of person who makes everyone they meet, smile.

I don't know what made me think of her really. I guess I was feeling melancholy and I've always wondered if that woman was like that all the time or if she did that to make herself smile too.

4 comments:

Jeremiah said...

There are some people who are able to do that. Personally, I hand out peanut butter sandwiches on a random basis.

Nothing can exceed the joy you give someone by handing them two pieces of bread with that oh-so-good peanutty spread of goodness in the middle.

Lance said...

An old lady dressed like Huggy Bear from Starsky & Hutch handing out "chocolate" to children...hmm...

And no one called the police on this person?

Alex said...

LOL Lance you're so jaded.

Anonymous said...

I just changed the song playing on our family web site. when searching to post the lyrics I came across your message board. Hope you don't mind if I comment.This woman you speak of sounds all too familiar to me.


Along the lines of a famous song: "Smile though you heart is aching."

A great man once said that a person's face is "public domain." This means that we have the obligation to smile, even though we may feel pained on the inside. We live in a world of others and the very expression of our face can affect the mood of another human being. Happiness is contagious. You have an obligation to make others feel happy; and certainly not to make them feel sad.

And the world mirrors back to us what we show it:

"As water reflects one's face, so too the human heart reflects the heart of another." (Proverbs 27:19)

It may just happen that by flashing a smile at others, they will flash a smile back at you, and you in turn will experience a change in your internal state.
It's a mistake to deny that "the outside can awaken the inside."

We all need to use the "externals" to awaken our "internals." One day we may find ourselves living up to the image we project, which in turn will make us feel better about ourselves and help us to be better people.

JoAnn from NY