Thursday, September 01, 2005

Victims keep being Victimized

WTF? 3 Days these people have been wading around without food or fresh water. Where the hell is all the federal aid? Where is the military? Where are the celebrity fund raisers? Why the f*k isn't Brad and Angelina on TV gathering help for OUR country? Aren't they exotic enough? Or maybe that's part of the problem.
I can't tell you how many people are wandering around MY city not knowing what to do with themselves. People are desperate, some of them are fighting. It is breaking my heart, especially when it comes to the elderly. I don't think most people realize what a 100 degree day is like in Louisiana. I can't imagine having to deal with it for 3 days, knee deep in dirty water with no fresh water to drink. It must feel like they've been suffering forever.
Seems that priority 1 to the powers that be are oil and gas prices. That's all i'm hearing Georgie talk about. Fuck the goddamned gas. People are still dying. Get off your collective asses and do what you've been over paid for.

The lack of progress for this situation is completely pathetic and there is no excuse for it. There isn't enough profanity to express my disgust.

7 comments:

Johnny Virgil said...

What I want to know is -- Where's the outpouring of international support? For some reason, everyone in the world always expects us to help out after a natural disaster, but when it happens to us, everyone thinks, "Oh well, it's just the US. They have the money and resources to deal."

It's a tough situation down there. You can send in the military, but how much authority can you give them? It's one thing to steal shoes and food and water, but when you've got roaming bands of thugs with rifles floating plasma televisions down the street on inflatable pool toys, something is deeply and seriously fucked. Unless you're willing to give the "shoot to kill" order and then follow through on it....nothing is going to change. It's a unique situation -- there's no easy way to get stuff in or out. You can only carry so many people on a chopper. What I can't understand is why it's not all over the news, 24x7. Unbelievable.

Johnny Virgil said...

ps -- It's good to see you back Alex. You were missed.

Johnny Virgil said...

In the last few days, there has been quite a few offers of support from other governments. That's heartening to me.

Alex said...

Nain- I'm still here but i'm leaving on wednesday or thursday, depends on gas prices as well. =P

Johnny - I honestly didn't think we'd get any either but to my surprise even the Saudis stepped up for us. Maybe after the tsunami thing they finally started to realize how one sided things have been.
I also think that the violence was highly over dramatized on the news. The only deaths I know of in the aftermath were those who of exposure and lack of food or medical aid. There are always those people who take advantage of a bad situation. But I believe most were just looking for some relief.
Oh and thanks!

MPH - With our country, such as it is, I expected that government trucks were already loaded with supplies BEFORE Katrina even hit. Much to my horror it seems they were totally relying on independant agencies..FEMA, RED Cross etc. to provide the initial aid. The problem was a racist one. And believe me I am the first person to shout "OH PLEASE GIVE ME A BREAK!" When people claim racism. But really this was blatant. The bottom line was that between hyped up news reports and the fact that the people in question were mostly black, they were too afraid to go in and help. And the government wasn't prepared and ready until today.
I'd wager my eyes that had something like this happened in Connecticut, aid would have been there within 24 hours.
As to people being out in the first place...yeah i'm sure many could have been. However, the majority of people here live below the poverty line. I am not at all surprised at how many were forced to take their chances.

At least the government finally stepped up. Too bad some more people had to die first. I am still really upset over the whole thing. I dont think I cried this much on 9/11.

Johnny Virgil said...

John did an awesome post on this:

http://weenjammer.blogspot.com

Steven said...

I just wrote a new entry in my blog about this. Its digusting what is taking place down there. We do more to help countries full of people that want us dead than we do for our own people. It makes me sick. Our governement doesn't care about us anymore.

Johnny Virgil said...

once upon a time, the government was created by the people, to serve the people. Now we exist to serve the government.