Monday, June 06, 2005

Almost Ready to Move

I've been kind of distracted lately with the business of moving. Trying to figure out what needs to go and what should stay in storage. I guess I am a little saddened to think of leaving though I didn't believe I would be.

In summers most of my mornings are spent scrambling to finish whatever needs to be done in order to quickly escape into air conditioned comfort for the rest of the day. But this weekend was a busy one and left me doing chores with the humidity draining my energy for whatever free time I had left. If it were not so warm here I think I might have considered staying.

Right now, the day hangs a humid haze. Cicadas drone, aphids swarm in their dancing clouds creating different shapes. The slight disturbance in the leaves of kudzo leaden trees only foster the stagnant aura. There is the lap of lakewater against a rotting boat. A distant farm carries soft sounds of impatient horses and the cooing response of the farmers patois, which for all my high school french I understand very little of. In my mind I can almost imagine some faint and slow zydeco like fiddle as I sit surveying this mornings green nothing from my porch. All combine into a gentle din that I will now and forever associate with near intolerable heat.

Thankfully, there is the smell of relief in the air, a heavy gray sky seems to bring a hush of anticipation. It feels as if everything is waiting for the first thunder. Rain is welcomed and often wished for from every creature here I think.

I will miss it, I like it here though it's not quite the same as New Orleans which I love beyond any other place i've been. It holds some of the same eccentricities and surreal qualities that after nearly a year I have only just begun to take for granted. But the heat? That will most certainly not be missed but hopefully, blissfully forgotten in Oregons cooler climate.

8 comments:

Johnny Virgil said...

Great description. I've never been there, but now I feel as if I have....

Larry said...

Wow. I was sitting on the porch with you. I have only lived 2 places and loved them both for what they are.

I loved the line, "It holds some of the same eccentricities and surreal qualities that after nearly a year I have only just begun to take for granted."

I lived in St. Louis most of my life and am back now. I always took it for granted until I was gone. I never took anything for granted in Philly for the year and a half I lived there and love going back when the oportunity presents itself.

Good luck with the move.

Alex said...

Johnny - Thank you. I feel the same when you write about your childhood.

mph - No, I think you might have me confused with Nain. I think she's mentioned living in Indiana in previous posts.

Larry - Thanks! I've traveled all of the US and some places tend to stick with you. New Orleans especially, it's like it's own country. I've been to St. Louis as well, sunny place when I was there. Think I got a speeding ticket. *grin*

Paul - And I can almost hear the gutteral pub anthem of "Fook yeuu, yeay daft coont". Of course I want to come, keep waiting for you to send me airfare.

Nain - Thank you! It will be my 6th move in 5 years. Getting tired! Going to go back to school when I get there, likely for web development and to finish my anthro degree.
I'd heard Tonya was there, waitressing. Also heard there was a recent bigfoot sighting. Think I might have to arm myself. ;)

Adrian said...

Great description. Cicadas. I hear them I and start to sweat.

Good luck in your move.

Steven said...

Good luck in your move and new life in Oregon. I hope everything goes well. :)

Sarah said...

lmao@ur comment to spawn...that sounded JUST like him! ;)

Alex said...

adreeyin - no doubt, they are practically synonymous with heat and thanks!

Steven - Thanks, I promise I won't sell your autograph on ebay. ;)

Sarah - Heh, I don't think he'll be as tickled. *snicker*

Erika said...

Damn I just found you here in my backyard and you're moving? How rude!